In Scotland's turbulent history, clan crests were given out by Scotland's clan chiefs as badges of allegiance. They were fastened to clothing with a strap and buckle - only chiefs could use the badge without the strap and buckle. The straps or belts were coiled around the crest, a feature which has become an integral part of modern clan crests and is often used to display the clan name or motto.
The crests on these pins are 5/8" (2 cm) in diameter; total length of the pin is 1.5" (4 cm).
The crests are approved by the Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs as authentic representations.
Every clan chief or family head has a Coat of Arms granted by the Lord Lyon King of Arms, which is listed in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland. The Register, established in 1592 and kept in the Court of the Lord Lyon in Edinburgh, is acknowledged as being the most magnificent heraldic manuscript in Scotland.
Not normally held in stock; imported to order.